Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Photographs to Come...



Today a photographer came out to take pictures of our Katahdins for some examples of the breed. I'm really looking forward to the end product, and I'm sure you'll see quit a few here. :-)

We disbudded half of the goat kids this morning. So glad that is done!!! Only five kids to go.

The ewe I was afraid wasn't pregnant is now filling up and is in the stage of "eating everything in sight 24/7". Very excited about that. That will be my last Katahdin ewe.

Anyways, that's the news. :-)
Tomorrow I'm hoping to do a post on the invaluable things that we had during this kidding season. :-)
(#1 Should be time budgeted for sleep! Yeah right....)

Thanks for reading,
Miss Pickwickian

2 comments:

Farmer Boy said...

How do you disbud your goats, iron or caustic? I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to use, I kind of need to decide soon...
I love the picture of "Miss Lonely"

And of course all the goat pictures are cute too :)

Bethany said...

Thanks. I know I get carried away with pictures sometimes, but I love taking and posting them all... :-)

I use an iron. I believe it is safer and creates less pain in the long run. We normally do it between 6-12 days. When you can feel the bumps of their horns pretty good, but before they get very tall.

We've been using an iron since we've started, and it's always worked well and been safe.

It is a little hard on your nerves the first time and it is expensive to get set up with, but in my experience it's been the best way.
(We've purchased goats that had their horns done other ways....)

Since you only have the three babies right now, your welcome to borrow our iron.
If you'd like a run through, I'm sure my dad would be willing to show you.
(I just hold the ice and cuddle them afterwards. I would never be able to do it. :-P But it really isn't that painful for them...)